Working from home is gaining a lot of attention from both entrepreneurs and employees alike, especially within the tech and startup space in Nigeria. It affords many benefits and has its minuses but all in all, it’s a convenient way to work seeing that one does not have to go through the shenanigans of working out of an office.
When it comes to working from home and then getting things done, productivity is the name of the game. Due to the variety of distractions common in such a case, it is usually difficult to achieve that much.
In this post are five things you can do to increase your productivity whilst working from home:
- Have a routine: Whether you may have noticed it or not, everyone has a routine…but not all are intentional about creating the winning routine. There is a high potential to be laid back working from home, therefore, it is best to set up a daily routine that fosters productivity. An example of this is waking up two hours earlier before you begin working, exercising, and eating breakfast. This way, you are able to start your day just on the right note!
- Eat the Frog first!: Often times, we want to avoid that major challenge on the day’s list of tasks to accomplish, so we start with the easiest one and work the way up. But from my experience, it doesn’t work out well. Hence, you need to start from the toughest task and get it done. Doing this will give you a major boost to accomplish the rest of the items on your to-do list. Not to mention the relief that comes with ticking it off as done.
- Use productivity tools: As it is a tech driven world, not much can be done without the use of helpful tools for being on track. Productivity tools keep you organised and mentally aware of the things that matter. Popular among such are Trello, Evernote, Todoist, and IFTTT. Have you heard of Pomodoro technique? It is not a tool but a technique for approaching work and timing with a divide and conquer mentality.
- Find a source of motivation: In most cases, pairing your work from home experience with occasional cups of well-brewed coffee and relaxing music can go a long way in getting much done. Also, you could have sticky notes of inspirational quotes around your workspace to keep you going when you get weary.
- Take a break: In as much as you may be pressed for time, after a few hours of working, it is only right to take a break to refresh yourself. You may take a power nap, go for a short walk outside in the sun, or just meditate – anything to keep you away from your computer and into the world. By the time you return to continue, you would be energised and empowered to conquer the world…or at least your work.
- Declutter your workspace: Actually, it is best to keep a minimalist workspace, that is, without much around and only the basic items that you need. Your brain would be able to process much more without having to deal with scattered materials which may hinder productivity while working from home. Worthy of mention here is the very fact that every entrepreneur working from home must have a workspace. It is part of the routine! And that workspace should have proper lighting, ventilation, and low amount of white noise. It doesn’t have to be a home office – anywhere can be a workspace…probably except your bed. A table and chair at one corner of the house sound good enough.
Because you work from home does not mean you should work every time – set boundaries for yourself. Spend time doing other things you need to do and don’t forget to live your life for the sake of chasing money. Remember, no dying man has ever regretted spending more time hustling but living their lives to the fullest.
Do you work from home? What has been your experience thus far? Share with us in the comments.
If you found this article beneficial, share it with your friends and colleagues using the social shares buttons.
Image credit: StockSnap.io